The Department of Economics originated in 1933 from the establishment of a Pedagogical Institute in Kutaisi. Its historical roots begin from the creation of Kutaisi Pedagogical Institute and unites the Chairs of "Political Economy" of Kutaisi Agricultural Institute (hereinafter, Sokhumi State University of Subtropical Agriculture) and Kutaisi Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute (hereinafter, Technical University). In 1975-1985, Kutaisi Branch of the Accounting and Economical Faculty of Iv. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was functioning in Kutaisi Pedagogical Institute, where the academic and research process was academically provided by the Chair of Political Economy.
In 1992, at Akaki Tsereteli State University, after receiving the specialty of "Finances and Credit", the Chair of Economic Theory became the only hearth for training economists in Western Georgia, in the bosom of which firstly the Chair of “Finances and Credit” and then of “Accounting and Audit” were created. In 2002, the specialty of "International Economic Relations” started student intake, which was academically provided by the Chair of Economic Theory.
In 2004, the Department of Economics was created by merging the Chair of Economic Profile. In 2006-2010, the Department was enlarged. In 2011, the Department of Business Administration was separated from the Department, while the Departments of Economics and Tourism were established as a separate academic structure. In June 2015, the direction of Tourism was allocated from the Department and today it is the Department of Economics, which includes two directions: Economics and Statistics.
The Department of Economics, in principle, provides the program of "Economics" at all three levels of higher education. Its head is associate professor Shota Lominashvili.
|#||Name, Surname||Academic Position||CV|