History

The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started eight decades ago and now, it is a higher educational institution in Georgia distinguished with its excellent traditions, which have found a decent place in the cultural-intellectual and moral upbringing of generations. The University has gained universal recognition as a result of staff training, high quality scientific potential and wide- ranging links with scientific institutes of advanced countries.
Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, in fact, was founded in the entrails of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University. In July 1930, the authorities abolished Tbilisi State University and created four independent higher education institutions at its base. One of them was the State Pedagogical Institute, which, from then on, until 1933, was functioning in Tbilisi. In 1933, the institute continued functioning in Kutaisi from February 13 of the same year. In 1933-1990 the institution was in the position of Alexander Tsulukidze State Pedagogical Institute.
In 1990, the higher education institution was transformed into Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, which was a logical culmination of the great work that the institute successfully had for almost six decades of its existence.
According to the Decree #39 of the Government of Georgia of February 23, 2006, reorganization was carried out of the legal entities of public law - Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University and Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili State Technical University through their unification. The educational institution was named as a university and was called Akaki Tsereteli State University.
Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was granted the official status on 23 September, 1973 and was ceremonially opened on September 1, 1974. In 1977, the institution was named after the academician Niko Muskhelishvili. On September 21, 1992 Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was granted university status and was called Kutaisi Niko Muskhelishvili State Technical University.
By the resolution #353 of the Government of Georgia of 16 November, 2010, the legal entity of public law -Sokhumi State University of Subtropical Agriculture joined Akaki Tsereteli State University.
In 1952, at the historic, geographical and economic center of western Georgia - Kutaisi, an agricultural institution was opened on the grounds of subtropical agriculture service. In 1959, it was transferred to the typical subtropical zone (Abkhazia, Sokhumi) and was named the Institute of Subtropical Agriculture of Georgia.
In the 90s of the twentieth century, due to events in Abkhazia, the institution became a refugee in Kutaisi. With the guidance of Prof. F. Pruidze, the educational process was restored at the institute thanks to the leadership of the city, Akaki Tsereteli State University and the city facilities.

ვებ გვერდი ოპტიმიზირებულია შშმ პირებისთვის.