Department of Biology has been a legal successor of the cathedras of Botany-Ecology, Zoology, Animal and Human Physiology and General Biology. Cathedras of Botany-Ecology and Animal and Human Physiology had existed since the day of the founding of the institute (hereinafter the university) in 1933. Department of Biology serves the Bachelor and Master’s programs in Biology, Ecology, Biological Sciences of the Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences; Doctoral program of Neurosciences; Therapeutic, Dental and Pharmacological specializations of the Faculty of Medicine. The study and scientific activities at the Department are led by the Vice-president of the Academy of Sciences of Georgia, Academician Teimuraz Naneishvili, Professor Reniko Sakandelidze, 17 associated professors. The department is provided with a number of cabinet-laboratories, herbarium; there is a student scientific society functioning at the department. The cathedras are headed by Docents: Giorgi Kokochashvili, Nino Mangaladze, Rusudan Tutberidze, Professor A. Gotsiridze. Sicne 1996 the Cathedra of General Biology and since 2005 the Department of Biology is guided by Professor Shota Jinjolia.